If you like the all-free articles on this blog, let Mary Anne know by gifting her with her all-time-favorite gift, an Amazon gift certificate. Her email is maf@lifeunfolds.com Amazon.com Gift Certificates - Click Here!

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Nature as Meditation



Nature inspires us, fills us with awe, and provides us with visual and auditory beauty. For me, nature is spiritual. It can change my sense of self, and alter my emotions and thoughts just by sitting or walking quietly in nature outdoors.


My own preferences include an ocean beach, forests, creeks, waterfalls and mountains, and the skies above. Each of these in its own way fills me up, spiritually. Others love the desert, lakes, or fields of grass. Some love gardens filled with flowers.


Nature can inspire even when raining or snowing or windy. Go out and experience it for yourself. I love to walk in the rain and even to watch thunderstorms. Every experience in nature can be a kind of meditation, even hiking or kayaking. Meditating in nature or on nature gives you another layer of insight, more depth in knowing about yourself and in healing yourself. Meditation can calm a noisy mind, will help you learn more about yourself, can answer the big questions in your life, will help you to be more grounded and centered, and to have equanimity and calm. Even five minutes a day will make a big difference. Fifteen to thirty is ideal. But don't let the lack of time stop you.


To meditate simply sit quietly outdoors. Sitting up straight will keep you from feeling sleepy. Observe what is around you, notice the beauty. Notice the sounds and sights and sensations, but don't create stories in your head about them. Don't like or dislike them. Simply notice and let them go. Gently close your eyes and breathe. Notice your breath as it comes and goes. If thoughts intrude, simply imagine that they are clouds in the sky and watch them go by. I end my meditations with gratitude. In this case, gratitude for nature and all it provides and for the time and energy to meditate.


I hope you will try it a few times. See what works best for you. Let me know what your experience is with meditating or send me questions.



All content including photos are copyrighted, 2006, by Mary Anne Fields and Life Unfolds. All rights reserved.

2 Comments:

At Mon Jul 02, 11:14:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is great. I just ran across it googling for parks to explore in Houston and the surrounding areas. Thanks and keep up the great work!

 
At Tue Jul 03, 07:30:00 AM CDT, Blogger lifeunfolds.com said...

Thank you so much. As you can see by my last publish date, I've been avoiding Houston's heat and not walking in new places. I'll be writing more soon. Enjoy the outdoors!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home